In 1717, only three years after establishing Natchitoches, St. Denis led a band of missionaries and Spanish soldiers to this site only twelve miles from the French post. His purpose was to initiate trade with the Spanish and fix the border between Mexico and Louisiana at Rio Hondo (Deep Creek).
In 1721 a more substantial fort was constructed on the same site, and Los Adaes, as it was called by the Spanish, was established as the first capital of Texas. It would remain so for nearly half a century. Los Adaes State Historical Park is maintained at the site today.
Robeline itself was not established until 1881 when the railroad came through. As in the days of the railroads, everyone lived as close to town and the tracks as possible. The village was originally name “Leolia” after the postmaster’s daughter. Later, it was name Robeline after an earlier settler.
The village also has a history of rough and rowdy crowds. Once known as “Robbers Lane” the area was full of these types of crowds.
Population: 149 Village Hall (318) 472-6121
Los Adaes State Historic Site
Adai Caddo Historic Village and Cultural Museum
St. Anne’s Catholic Church, the oldest church in the LA Purchase, tours scheduled through the Historic Village.
The Grill, 9055 Texas Street, Robeline, LA 71469 (318) 472-1818
Robeline Heritage Festival – first weekend in October
Adais Caddo Pow Wow- third Weekend in October